Thursday, June 7, 2012

The mouths of babes

I was reading a few pages from Marley's kiddie Bible tonight and the story we read was about when Mary found out from the angel that God had chosen her to bear His son. Marley said "Some people are going to be mad at her."


So much of the wisdom I hear is from Marley.
Sometimes when we do the right thing the whole world will turn against us. Sometimes just a few people will turn against us and that is enough to make us question our actions. I do not want to be dismissed as a Jesus Freak or as a blinded-by-the-Bible goodie goodie or as an extremist. But it is going to happen. It does happen. I just hope that I can start making more decisions that will please God and stop worrying about the people here. The ones who either secretly don't actually care about me or can only love me in a limited human way.


Sometimes it feels like a catch-22. If I do right by the Lord, I will be discredited in this world. How can I be a fisher of men if people discount what I say? 


Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2: 11-12


God does not require perfection to move hearts. He sent His son because He knew our limitations. He knew we were not getting there on our own. He can move mountains without us but He can also move them through us too.


I think trying our best is what He asks of us. To try to be holy, not for appearances but because holiness arises from a genuine love of Him. 


It is the prayer I say nearly every day for my son. "...When he grows up, God, let him be righteous because he genuinely loves You."


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment