Saturday, August 11, 2012

Mudathalon and what I am thankful for.

No one was injured at the Mudathalon today and I was given a bottle-opener as a medal. Smacks a little ironic for me. Still praise God for the marvelously unique ways there are to spend time with family. Good attitudes (were regained) and bodies remain whole (even if I cannot get all of the dirt out of my ears.
.----.--.-.-.-.-..--.-..-.---..-.-.-....----...-.
At the mudathalon Debbie, Bobby and I ran a stretch and then started doing the obstacles. They varied in difficulty. Started with a very large mound of dirt surrounded by a moat of mud, had to go up which surprisingly enough, is easier than going down. Then there were these giant spools that had to be lept up and climbed over. An excessive amount of monkey bars (I DID ALL OF THEM!) several hay bale pyramids, they were not your average size bales, they were probably 4x the normal size. Round bales that proved to be the most difficult obstacle for me. I just wasn't tall enough to leap it. I had to wedge a foot in to gain purchase enough to get over. We ran through a barn full of goats and ponies (PONY!)  There were two instances of 200 feet stretches of 3 foot deep mud and water, with lines going across which forced you to crawl under them. My darling husband took that opportunity to throw mud in my face (on purpose). Plotting revenge gave me something to think about while I was doing the other obstacles. The trail went into the woods and there were multiple cliffs that had to be rappelled. The cliffs by the way were either sheer or covered in mud. Some of the muddy ones had charming little tree stumps sticking out at odd angles. I wonder how many butts got damaged on those today?
There were tight ropes and big wheels we had to climb through. My least favorite were these small tubes. The openings were maybe... two and a half feet in diameter that you had to crawl through. The tubes by the way were not smooth, they were slightly bumpy. Making it a bit easier to pull yourself through since it was too small too actually crawl but ruining your knees. Unpleasant if the person ahead of you slowed or stopped especially. No space and no light. Yuck.
We had to travel through deep wide creeks (maybe 25 feet wide and 3-4 feet deep). That was more difficult than a lot of other things because there were holes and rocks everywhere. You could never quite be sure of your footing. Close to the end of the race is "the slides". Thick rubber tarps laid down over a very steep hill., each one with a tiny U shape and a hose at the top. Guess what was at the bottom? 4 feet of mud.
When we first approached it, my first thought was "Bob hates water slides." My second thought was "I hate heights." It was a BIG steep hill. It is about one heavy rainfall from being a cliff. But before I could have my third thought Bob had taken a step onto the slide and was FLYING down the slide. He hit the water like a torpedo, completely submerged. Debbie went next (I was still waffling at the top, nursing my second thought) and she screamed (happily) all the way down and she actually sailed across the top of the water before going under. So I did it. I was submerged in the mud, no way around it. I may or may not have held my nose. There is definitely mud in there. I found out later that Bob had not suddenly developed a love of water slides, he actually slipped and just covered it well, lending him a courageous appearance.
The last obstacle is the second turn through the 200 feet of 3 feet mud. The full 200 feet is surrounded by spectators who cheer you on or boo you if you do something wussy like walk on the side or try to step over the lines that you are supposed to crawl under. And the occasional person was throwing mud balls at racers. Then you cross the finish and they hand you a 10"x10" moist towelette, a bottle of water and a medal (can opener)  around your neck.

LUCKILY they provide very SOPHISTICATED methods of getting yourself washed up. Can you guess what that method was? 4 feet of mud... water. It was freezing and there were 20-30 other people in it, trying to talk either themselves or other people into full submersion. I dunked myself 4 times and I still looked like a backwoods dreadlock Rastafarian with no access to plumbing.

It was a lot of fun. Thanks Debbie for inviting us!
.-.-.-.-.---.---.--..-.--.-.-.-.-.

Solomon could have been injured severely today by 3 rough housing dogs but wasn't. Thank you God!

Marley asking for "salad" on her sandwich for second-lunch.

The Duebbers for basically watching our kids all weekend, even with short notice.

My health. My strength. My patience. (I say "my" but these things are all from God).

Vanilla almond milk (it is really amazing).

Bob's curried sauerkraut on hot dogs.

God has taken away my fear today about money. It tries to creep back, but the worry isn't from Him. He has provided every step, every day. It is my decision to be joyful in God's sufficiency. Jehovah Jireh!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have gone too! We just didnt (read: don't) have the money :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My butt was one of the ones injured on the stumps at the first ravine. My pants were also irreparably damaged lol. - Liz

    ReplyDelete