Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Verbing

You know what I like about being a writer?
Writing is a verb and it's the verb most strongly associated with writers. What do writers do? They write.

Not like being an artist. What verbs do artists do? Paint, draw, design, form, sculpt, etc. It lacks definition. You never run into an artist arting. You can't interrupt a very important arting session or get red face mad when your artist boyfriend blows you off because he's tired from arting all week.

Though I am an artist. I do all those previously mentioned art verbs and enjoy it. But when I identify myself as a writer, I enjoy the feeling of calling myself exactly what I'm doing. Like being a teacher or a cook or nurse. I'm doing something and it helps to define my little part of the ultimately  limited timeline of the history of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment