Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Easy

Genesis 3:6 NIVUK
When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

It's easy to malign the Hebrews for their whining in the desert, or Samson for his selfish self absorption, or the crowd that cheering sent Jesus to the cross. It's with disapproving self-righteousness I wonder why Eve had so little self control.
But how easy it is to be tempted by something that tastes good, that looks good, that promises me knowledge and status. I choose to eat at restaurants despite the hungry and poor.
I preen before a mirror though vanity and pride will lead to death.
The pseudo tolerance taught to me by my culture sneaks into my life. Teaching that I should deny all religions rather then believe one that may result in the exclusion of others.
Sin is easy. Judging, even easier. God, help me to deny myself both of these in my daily life. Though the flesh is weak and anything that denies self love is out of fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment